 Trains / 25193
Re: Slug Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 22:34:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong but its my understanding that a slug does not generate power on its own. It is powered from the lead loco. The effect is greater traction and power but less generation. They are seen a lot in switching yards but not as much on long hauls.

Mike

That’s correct. A slug is an engine that’s had the cab and motors removed, and often the fuel tanks as well. Sometines tha tank is retained and filled with ballist. This was common with older engines such as a GP9 or GP15. Either way, extra wieght is added to offset the missing structure and engines. The (electric)motorized trucks are retained, and are slaved off of another engine, that it’s permanently or simi permanantly coupled to. The whole idea is to double the traction for slow heavy loads.

These are used in larger yards, often to pull loads over a hump. http://espee.railfan.net/sp4xslug.html

A similar configuration is a “cow and calf”. In this case bothe engines retain thier deisel motors and control systems, however one of the engines is cabless. http://espee.railfan.net/sptr06.html

Mat

I found a couple of pictures of a completely different kind of slug http://www.ngrs.demon.co.uk/ngn235.html 3rd and 4th pictures up from the bottom