 Trains / 24516
Re: Super Chief Pleasure Dome...another one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:55:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   It’s another dome car. Another try. I’m not completely satisfied with this design, but here is a try at a non-curved-window Pullman-Standard dome with full instructions. Sorry the instructions aren’t formatted well-- just a core dump from LPub. There are two different builds using this flat-window construction.

Using a 2x4 technic plate for the truck pin makes the plate very vulnerable to coming out if you remove the truck, and then it’s very fiddly to get back together again. There are only 4 studs of adhesion there if you leave the voids. I use 2x8 plates instead, even if I have to stagger the position of the plate so that the pin isn’t in the center, because then you get 12 studs of adhesion into the rest of the floor/frame and much less tendency to rip the plate out (as well as better luck realigning it if it does come out.

The other way to strengthen it is to add another 2x4 technic plate above that one, at 90 degrees. It does increase the friction slightly on the bogie pin, but that’s never caused me any problems to date.

ROSCO