 Trains / 24514
Re: Super Chief Pleasure Dome...another one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:16:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   It’s another dome car. Another try. I’m not completely satisfied with this design, but here is a try at a non-curved-window Pullman-Standard dome with full instructions. Sorry the instructions aren’t formatted well-- just a core dump from LPub. There are two different builds using this flat-window construction.

I was inspired by both Larry’s recent Dome Car build and Benn’s Pleasure Dome build, I’ve tried it, again. I really like Larry’s truck-springs and interior details. And, Benn’s use of the dark-grey windscreen is quite nice for its fine-line window framing.

So, here’s yet another Pleasure Dome try. Thanks for checking it out.

Nice work. I am glad that my truck design stood you in good stead and that you were able to suss it out from the pics I posted. That’s a nice circle, you posted a new idea, I cribbed from it and you cribbed back! How it is supposed to work. Tooo bad that you didn’t go with a bit longer wheelbase to get the springs in there, I assume you were trying to stick to the original length of 10022 and 10025? the more detailed trucks need longer wheelbase cars.

I think using hinged windscreens to get the more curved/rounded effect on the dome window sides is very inspired. I wonder how stable that is in practice though, it is hard to handle cars without a certain amount of jostling. It certainly gives a lot more headroom than using the clear macaronis though!

I have one criticism of what is otherwise very very nice work.... I think in this image you can see an issue that I have ran into a lot.

Using a 2x4 technic plate for the truck pin makes the plate very vulnerable to coming out if you remove the truck, and then it’s very fiddly to get back together again. There are only 4 studs of adhesion there if you leave the voids. I use 2x8 plates instead, even if I have to stagger the position of the plate so that the pin isn’t in the center, because then you get 12 studs of adhesion into the rest of the floor/frame and much less tendency to rip the plate out (as well as better luck realigning it if it does come out.

Overall, very nice build!

Thanks for sharing.