 Trains / 24101
Re: The Queensland Tilt Train - and it tilts!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:53:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
Congratulations, Esben! Thats a fine looking train. I find the tilt
mechanism very interesting! Only one other tilt train I know of is James
Mathis' APT, which from what I know, uses a similar mechanism. It's a pity
that this doesn't have interiors, but that IS asking a bit much, so I'm not
going to heckle. And I feel your pain about the curved top bricks- I'm going
to have to order 120 (!!!) of those for my own train soon....

Best Wishes,

Legoswami Samarth

Samarth, perhaps you missed this one:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77379>

A 4-car British Pendolino, using bevel gears for the tilt.  This means it can
cope well with double bends (the Hornby APT rises up on double bends because
it relies on a tilted curved track on which the bogie pin rests).  Each
carriage acts like a differential gear, the body tilting by the average turn
of the two bogies.

It has no interiors either, because the tilt axles would go at the level of
people's heads as they walked down the carriage!  It's a bit cheaper than
electric linear actuators though!

A long time ago there was an example of another kind of active tilt (this QSR
one uses gravity, near as I can tell) posted by, IIRC, Eric Brok.

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=845

That one used 45 degree sloped pivots to force turns as the cars went through
curves. VERY clever design and obviates the need for gearing...

I built a tilting train many years ago based loosely on the 4559 and used this
principle - 2x2 turntables angled on hinges. I still have some paper pics
somewhere.

The design used leading bogies at the front to effect the tilt and a passive
trailing connection to an (articulated) bogies at the rear of the coach. This
was necessary to allow the train to tilt correctly through reverse curves. The
train worked well and could be left running at one notch down from full speed -
it was even tuneable for tilt angle by changing the angle of the turntables.
Great fun to build.

The various methods are fascinating to see - it looks like the Queensland train
has one extra feature : the angle of tilt will ne linked to the speed of the
train. Might need some damping to make it look realistic though!

Jon  .

See also this work by James Mathis

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=11901

Hope that helps! Tilt trains are cool. I have spotlighted the original QSR post
and hope others do too.