 Trains / 24096
Re: The Queensland Tilt Train - and it tilts!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
   Congratulations, Esben! Thats a fine looking train. I find the tilt mechanism very interesting! Only one other tilt train I know of is James Mathis’ APT, which from what I know, uses a similar mechanism. It’s a pity that this doesn’t have interiors, but that IS asking a bit much, so I’m not going to heckle. And I feel your pain about the curved top bricks- I’m going to have to order 120 (!!!) of those for my own train soon....

Best Wishes,

Legoswami Samarth

Samarth, perhaps you missed this one: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=77379

A 4-car British Pendolino, using bevel gears for the tilt. This means it can cope well with double bends (the Hornby APT rises up on double bends because it relies on a tilted curved track on which the bogie pin rests). Each carriage acts like a differential gear, the body tilting by the average turn of the two bogies.

It has no interiors either, because the tilt axles would go at the level of people’s heads as they walked down the carriage! It’s a bit cheaper than electric linear actuators though!

Mark