 Trains / 11901
11900  |  11902
Subject:
APT tilts thru curves in Real-Build ABS form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:55:28 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

My attempt to model the British Rail Advanced Passenger Train set is
progressing.  The "real-build" ABS consist is:
1. cab unit (driver trailer second)
2. passenger car (trailer second)
3. passenger car (trailer brake first)
4. motor unit (non driving motor)
5. passenger car (trailer brake first)
6. cab unit (driver trailer second)

The names in parenthesis are the British Rail nomenclature.

1) The train cars do indeed tilt through curves.  The pendular axis of
rotation is just below the roof-line; thus, the car bodies swing "out"
rather than tip "in". I'm not sure that is the best way to describe this
motion???

2) There is no pancake gap between the wheels/trucks/bogies and the main
frame of the cars.

3) The height of the train is equivalent to a standard official LEGO
passenger train.

4) Typical gaps do exist between the ends of the wheels/trucks/bogies and
the ends of the inverse undercarriage.

5) 9v train motors are located on the "non-driving motor" unit, as is
prototypical.

See this APT in ABS at:

Still need to order bunches of blue train windows.
Still need to order some blue train doors.
Black 2x2 tiles...

I found it a little difficult to photograph the tilt.  I hope some of the
pictures convey that it really is tilting!

I hope to be able to make another "non-driving motor" and another "trailer
second", or perhaps the "restaurant/buffet first" car.  I think an 8 unit
real-build LEGO version of the APT might be near the limit of this
simultaneous push-pull configuration with the 9v motors in the middle of the
set.

I think the APT-P (pre-production prototype) is the unit that saw
revenue-paying service:  250 km/h 2+12 high-powered version (Three prototype
trains were built).  You can see very cool drawings of the proposed APT sets
at The Railway Age, a home for the Preservation of the APT train set.
http://www.therailwayage.co.uk/apt/APTConfigurations.htm
You can click on some of the drawings to see floor plans of the interiors.

You may notice that the real-life APT set does not have a blue-window livery.
From the photos it looks more slate blue, dark gray, ?????  Also, the roof
is more white than gray.  It's tough for me to tell.  White would be a
reasonable LEGO color for the roof.  Alas, I've chosen gray for the time
being....

Thanks for reading and looking.

later,
James Mathis