 Trains / 23767
Re: what is the best starter train set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:53:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Pelletier wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

   The easy no brainer is the 65537 My Own Train Classic Freight Train, which has upwards of $165 worth of stuff and sells for under $80 (try www.brickbros.net). See http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=23415&t=f&v=a for more info. Welcome back!

Oh, ya!!! I completely forgot about that one! It IS a screaming deal.

   That is a screaming deal. Thanks. I’m curious as to why 4561 isn’t highly regarded.

I think a lot of adult fans at the time didn’t think much of the set design. It has good parts and thus if you can find it deeply discounted it’s a good buy, but the design, as written, is kinda blah. It’s not realistic (even in a LEGO way... 4512 looks more like a modern european intercity train than 4561 does) and it’s not very futuristically cool either. (compare with the 4559 which is gaining respect over time, I think, for some of the cool aspects to the design, and which is probably more futuristic looking.) Also it has a POOP base for the (single truck) engine where 4559 at least gave you some more useful parts.

That’s all my opinion only, mind you.

   I guess I’m more looking for a basic set up (motor, tracks and some basic parts) and then intend on creating my own train. I agree that the more recent Super Chief is great looking but I tend to keep sets together for such a short period of time that it ends up rarely being worth the cost.

And the next question I have: do all the new sets (like this 65537) have track in the new dark gray or the old? I probably don’t even want to touch this color issue, do I?