 Trains / 23739
Re: RCX and the 9v system - help needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
You can hook an RCX 1.0 brick to a 9V adapter like the one that comes with the
train speed regulator. I do not know of an all LEGO way to hook up the RCX 1.5
and above or the Scout to mains power. I know people have done it by makeing
false battery inserts but that's non LEGO.

Thanks Larry.  I have tried the 9v adapter.  Regarding tampering with the RCX
etc I would definitely be out of my depth and wouldn't want to risk damaging
them.

[Does there exist a mains adpater for the RCX/Discovery Scout?]

Not that I know of.

[Can I use the Speed Regulator in conjunction with the RCX/Discovery Scout?

You can use it "in conjunction" for some things, for example you could build a
servo to turn the knob that is controlled by the RCX, but in view of the next
question I am going with "no" if I understand your meaning.

If so, how do I link them with existing LEGO cables?]

The RCX front inputs are sensor only, not power, IIRC. So you cannot, without
surgery (fake battery box or whatever). Putting power into sensor inputs may not
be a good idea.

Thanks again.  You understood me correctly and "we" have posted in the same
thread when somebody hooked up a regulator to an airship to drive the
propellors.  I was hoping to be able to control the power input to the RCX by
using the dial on the regulator - clearly that would be way too simple.  :)

XFUT to lugnet.robotics as well. There are many experts there, far wiser than I.
Also, do some searching of LUGNET via the web search interface, try using DCC in
your search string and you'll find a lot of stuff.

I appreciate your help!  I will do some searching.  It is about time I got into
LEGO trains so hopefully this is just the beginning.

Chris