 Trains / 23738
Re: RCX and the 9v system - help needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:56:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Paton wrote:
Hi everyone

I am now the proud owner of my first 9v train (4511) and finally I can begin
to experiment a little with various adaptations.  But I would appreciate a
little advice on the following:

I can hook up both an RCX and Discovery Scout to the tracks no problem.  But,
I am going to burn through batteries or be forever recharging!  My questions
are:

[How do I hook up either of these sets to the mains?]

You can hook an RCX 1.0 brick to a 9V adapter like the one that comes with the
train speed regulator. I do not know of an all LEGO way to hook up the RCX 1.5
and above or the Scout to mains power. I know people have done it by makeing
false battery inserts but that's non LEGO.

[Does there exist a mains adpater for the RCX/Discovery Scout?]

Not that I know of.

[Can I use the Speed Regulator in conjunction with the RCX/Discovery Scout?

You can use it "in conjunction" for some things, for example you could build a
servo to turn the knob that is controlled by the RCX, but in view of the next
question I am going with "no" if I understand your meaning.

If so, how do I link them with existing LEGO cables?]

The RCX front inputs are sensor only, not power, IIRC. So you cannot, without
surgery (fake battery box or whatever). Putting power into sensor inputs may not
be a good idea.

I am anticipating being able to program stops at different stations etc.  I
have seen a picture of a show where someone is using a laptop and a few RCXs
to coordinate the trains but I can't find the Brickshelf gallery.  I
appreciate any ideas or suggestions or even a link to a previous thread as I
am sure this has been discussed before.

XFUT to lugnet.robotics as well. There are many experts there, far wiser than I.
Also, do some searching of LUGNET via the web search interface, try using DCC in
your search string and you'll find a lot of stuff.