 Trains / 2367
    "cat whisker" trip switch —Steven Barile
   Hi All, I was playing around with Mindstorms tonight and was working on the automated trolley line. I have been looking for alternatives to the light sensors (the ambient light can kill ya). I was thinking about touch sensors but just plopping a (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: "cat whisker" trip switch —Jim Rorstrom
     (...) Before I add my 2 cents worth, I have zero experience with Mindstorms light sensors. That said, have you tried shading the sensor, especially from overhead light. Are Mindstorms light sensors similiar to those used in other forms of model (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: "cat whisker" trip switch —Robin Werner
   Steve, I have also used Mindstorms to run a train, like this. But I used it in a railroad yard, not for a trolley. But it’s basically the same concept. I put the touch sensor at a 90 degree angel with the track and about one brick away from track at (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: "cat whisker" trip switch —Steven Barile
   Robin, Sounds very simular to how I riged it. I had to run the speed at "2" Since the trolley is very small and pulls nothing. In fact I can "wheelee" it pretty easy. How do you determine when to decrease the voltage, is it merely timed? Otherwise (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: "cat whisker" trip switch —Jim Rorstrom
    (...) ower Steve, Steve, I poked around on the Web a little regarding model railroad sensors. Infrared sensors are generally placed between the rails facing up. They emit a constant infrared beam which is reflected back to the sensor when a train (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: "cat whisker" trip switch —Jim Rorstrom
   (...) To follow up on my laser comment (above). Josh Yeager in post #7294 (Robotics) offers his own laser module for Mindstorms. He is asking $35. - Jim --- (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.trains)