 Trains / 2353
Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:23:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

There may or may not be a free shuttle but my advice is learn the T.
Even if you're only in town for a weekend, it's a much better way to go.
Plus the trains are much tighter headings than the 1/2 hour heading a
shuttle is likely to be on.

A cab ride from Logan to Kendall Square is going to be somewhere in the
15-25 range (15 if you're very very lucky, 22 is probably closer to the
actual)

And you're not even actually going that far... Logan to the Sumner to
haymarket circle and across the mem ave bridge if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what street the bridge is, but it isn't Memorial Ave. The T
of course doesn't go through the Sumner tunnel. And give Larry a point
for accuracy... The tunnel from downtown to Logan is the Callahan Tunnel
(well of course there's also the new "The Big Dig" tunnel).

My advice on the subway routing is to go blue to green to red instead of
blue to orange to red, it's the same distance really, but the green cars
are worth seeing in their own right, they do some street running in the
burbs and look a lot different than the other three lines (which are all
the same except for color scheme, like NY subway)

Same in a relative sense. There are differences. Not living in Boston
for the past 10 years, I'm not as familiar with exactly what is running
where. Does the Red Line still run two different types of cars? I think
the Orange Line cars are the newest. Even though I've been on the Blue
Line in the past 10 years (used it a couple times to get out of Logan at
rush hour), I just don't recall what cars they're running.

Another advantage of Blue->Green->Red. You get to check out the Park St.
Station which is the most extensive underground station on the T. One
thing you can do is listen to the Green Line trains squeal around the
loop which lets them turn around.

If you got Blue->Orange->Red you can actually skip the Orange Line and
walk to the Red Line.

Just pay attention as you go from between Park and Kendall in case
something weird happens (a free pat on the back to the first person to
recognize the reference here).

Green line is light rail, and it's a lot different in appearance. Plus,
ride in the center if you can, so you can see the pivot in action when
they go around a corner. But watch your fingers!

The last time I rode in the center of a Green Line car, it was a lot
scarier than I remember it being as a kid. They make a lot more creaking
noises than they used to.

Of course a lot of us got a laugh the first time a Green Line LRV had a
derailment on a curve. The cars are made by Boeing (which of course most
of us are more familiar with for making aircraft).

I don't remember all the stations where you can see MOW equipment, but
as you ride around, keep your eyes peeled. There are some old PCC cars
and other equipment used for MOW duty.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com