 Trains / 23441
Re: Couplings for long overhang 4 wheeled vehicles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:51:58 GMT

I have used various methods, including the magnet holder mentioned above, though the method below is the best one for long overhangs:

Parts required: Two Technic plates 2x4 with holes (3709b).

One K3 black elastic band, 18mm diameter, 1.25mm thick.

One 2-stud axle (new type with notches) (32062)

One coupling shoe and magnet (discard the buffer beam).

Method: 1. Put the two 2x4 plates together bottom to bottom, overlapping by 2 studs, making a 2x6 outline. 2. Put the axle through the hole that lines up. 3. Put the elastic band through the middle hole of one of the plates. 4. Wrap the band round the axle at both sides. 5. Turn the plates one the axle so that the band gets into the notches of the axle and the plates spring back to straight again. 6. Attach the coupling shoe to the bottom of the plate that does not have the band through its middle hole. 7. Set the magnet to the same way round as all the other vehicles. If you don’t have a turntable, triangular junction or reverse loop on your layout, it doesn’t matter that magnet polarity is semi-permanent, as long as magnets on all vehicles are turned the same way. 8. Turn the coupling device so that the coupling shoe is on top and attach the 2x4 plate to a bogie or chassis. 9. You can use 2x6 or 2x8 plates with holes instead, to put the pivot further underneath the vehicle for longer overhangs. I’ve found that it’s best if the axle pivot is approximately level with the buffer beam on bogie diesel locos, or that the pivot should be half way between the magnet and the motor. 10. Avoid the device sticking by fixing to 4 studs (2x2) on top of the plate and 2 underneath, also keeping adjacent studs free either side so that the corners don’t catch on anything.

Like this?

It looks pretty simple an effective, you get just a little bit of movement on the coupling shoe pivot but not enough to cause jack-knifing. The problem from my point of view is that its too wide, I am looking for something that comes out of the centre of the buffer beam rather than below it so I don’t want the slot too wide. Using the 2x3 magnet holder presented a challenge to attatch it but I have come up with this
The 2x3 magnet holder is attached using a
43093 Technic, Axle Pin WITH Friction
to prevent it rotating. The
2736 Technic, Axle Towball
is for attatching an elastic band to provide centreing. The design can be extended using an axle and a
6538b Technic, Axle Joiner (New Style with X Opening)
Another way of mounting the arm with built in centreing would be to use a
bb108 Technic, Axle Joiner Double Flexible
but I havent seen one for real so I don’t know how well it work.

Tim