 Trains / 23425
Re: Couplings for long overhang 4 wheeled vehicles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:52:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   I am currently designing some long four wheeled vehicles (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=847126 for example) and am having problems with the coupling design. Because of the long overhangs the couplings need to be mounted on an arm that can pivot to allow the coupling to be more over the centre line of the track on curves. However this leads to to problems when pushing the vehicles as the arm moves to one side and causes problems at the ends of straights or on opposite curves.

Have you considered using this part?:

2607 Magnet Holder 2 x 3

They are not expensive, and available on Brickshelf in large quantities.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen

I hadn’t seen these, I’ll have to experiment, thanks for idea. I actually must have a couple somewhere as I have a 8001 Battle Droid.
I had thought of these 2609 Magnet Holder Tile 2 x 2 but I couldn’t see a way of attaching them strongly enough.
Has anyone used any non magnet couplings (not fixed bars). I remeber there was someone who used Kaydees but I would really like a Lego solution. I am toying with the idea of a ‘chopper’ type coupling using a Minifig pickaxe as the hook. The problem with this is that without the attraction of the magnet coupling would have to be done on the straight.

Tim