 Trains / 23188
Re: Long term effect of PWM on train motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:16:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Guido Heunen wrote:
Hi,

I went through a lot of postings concerning PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in this
newsgroup. My conclusion is that it is possible.

However, I haven't seen any description of the longterm (after) effects of PWM
on the motor itself.

So I have a few more questions:

- Is there an "official" statement from TLG (or Jake) that the motor can handle
PWM?

- What is the ideal frequency? I read some books about model rail roads where it
is stated that the frequency must be between 50-100Hz.

- Did someone exchange the motor for another brand motor (Faulhaber or so...)

I want to experiment with pure PWM (no RCX or DCC) and to make use of a block
controled layout. For me this will be a challenge in both ways: lego wise and
electronics.....

Guido

I've been running Mark Reiley's LDCC on omy layout at home and at rtlToronto
train shows--my 9v train motors seem to still be just fine.  I occasionally take
'em apart and clean the contacts and such, and put a squirt of graphite on the
various moving bits when I put the motor housing back together.

I do expect that sooner or later one of the motors will stop running, but it's
been a year+ of some of my motors running nightly and for weekends at shows.  I
do tend to limit my consist to a maximum of 7-8 cars--I think that helps--less
strain on the motor and various moving bits.

Dave K