 Trains / 23183
23182  |  23184
Subject:
Long term effect of PWM on train motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:24:50 GMT

Hi,

I went through a lot of postings concerning PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in this
newsgroup. My conclusion is that it is possible.

However, I haven't seen any description of the longterm (after) effects of PWM
on the motor itself.

So I have a few more questions:

- Is there an "official" statement from TLG (or Jake) that the motor can handle
PWM?

- What is the ideal frequency? I read some books about model rail roads where it
is stated that the frequency must be between 50-100Hz.

- Did someone exchange the motor for another brand motor (Faulhaber or so...)

I want to experiment with pure PWM (no RCX or DCC) and to make use of a block
controled layout. For me this will be a challenge in both ways: lego wise and
electronics.....

Guido