 Trains / 22289
Re: Big Ben's trainwheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:48:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes wrote:

If I get enough requests for flanged to blind conversion information, I can post
some pictures and drawings on my site, but it isn't an easy task.  Even if you
have access to a lathe, you'll find it difficult to chuck the wheels without
leaving tool marks.

I thought about this for a while too... the best way is probably to sacrifice an
old Technic axle, make a little aluminium bushing that slides right over the
Technic axcle, put that into the chuck. Now put the wheels on the Technic axle
and use high speeds and VERY low feed rates.... I did something similair with
some model railroading parts a while ago, worked great. (Did use some special
tool tips with a VERY positive cutting angle and which were razorsharp)

Moving forward, I'm listening to what customers have to say.  I expect to offer
new wheel sizes and other 'bricks' in the future.

Wow, that sounds promising! If I might make a suggestion : the 7750 wheels but
with the beautiful open spokes such as with your current wheels.

In the meantime I've been tweaking some more and it seems that I might still
find a way to do a 1E without taking off the flanges, working out the swivel
points for the "bogies" right now to see if my theory holds.
Regards,
--
Jan-Albert van Ree