 Trains / 22288
Re: Big Ben's trainwheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:43:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Well I got my set a few days ago and have been playing with them to see how
well they fit in.

First of all, quality is very good! Color matches almost perfectly, the
Technic axle fits perfect, the hole for the Technic pin is also perfect
size, all in all wonderful done.

The looks are dead on too, these look the part, almost too sophisticated for
a LEGO train :D

Thank you.

However there's one minor issue... the size. Due to the large size, the axle
distance between two wheels needs to be greater, making for a longer frame.
I bought a set to have a go at a 1E engine (2-10-0 for US folks) but after
laying out the frame I've come to realize that with these wheels that's
going to be VERY hard, if not impossible. I've had a few looks at Ben
Beneke's BR50 engine which is also a 1E type and that already has loads of
nifty construction details to make it negotiate curves perfectly. With
these wheels, it becomes a lot harder still.

I know there are more people out there with ideas about train wheels, so to
you my plea : don't go bigger than the old 7750 wheels. While it may look
nice, it severely limits construction possibilities.

Now PLEASE don't see this as an attack on Ben Fleskes' product. It's a great
piece of work and is for many applications a perfect part. But I fear it
won't be the end-it-all solution most of us were hoping for.

Thank you for the kind words and feedback. The Big Ben Bricks 30.4 (mm) Flanged
Driver has never been intended as a end-it-all solution for trains.  When I
started desiging these I quickly determined that a range of wheels is needed -
different sizes, with and without flanges.  But with just this one wheel, the
opportunities are open a little wider.

As John G mentions in another email, it is possible to make this weel into a
blind driver and allow spacing the wheels 4 studs on center.

If I get enough requests for flanged to blind conversion information, I can post
some pictures and drawings on my site, but it isn't an easy task.  Even if you
have access to a lathe, you'll find it difficult to chuck the wheels without
leaving tool marks.

Moving forward, I'm listening to what customers have to say.  I expect to offer
new wheel sizes and other 'bricks' in the future.

Kind Regards,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC