 Trains / 21863
Re: The Coolest Picture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:06:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ray Silva wrote:
John,

Great looking subway station!

Sorry if I missed it, but what LED's did you use?  Did you stay with a 9V
system, or how techy was the electrical system made?  I tried finding some
stuff a while back to do an internal lighting scene, and couldn't find
anything that would work at the local Radio Shack.

Any ideas/help from you or others would be appreciated.

Ray
SPLTC

Well, since you asked "John", in the GMLTC you might get three different

For the GMLTC subway platforms:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JohnG/GMLTC-layout-4/subwayview.jpg
we used some 3volt white LEDs I got through a local electronics store.  You can
find them on the web, too.  I bought four nice hefty 3volt transformers, and
we've set up a 3volt power system on the layout using Cat5 cables.  (Conan - our
club 'leader' if there is one - is a journeyman electrician who believes in
using top-quality stuff.)

The 3volt LEDs are simply wired in parallel, no resisters or nutin'.

For this building:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JohnG/GMLTC-layout-4/CompletedLayout/GATS2003/barband.jpg
I used some 3.4volt color-chaning LEDs, they're hooked up in parallel too, but
each has a resistor soldered to it so I can run them off a 9volt speed
regulator.  And dang, they look nice!

If you're looking for LED advice, my best suggestion would be to be real nice to
Rob Hendrix, and ask him questions!  Rob is truly a master at working LEDs into
Lego creations...

JohnG, GMLTC