 Trains / 21059
Re: Pictures of 8mm:1ft scale trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:17:46 GMT

   Even on British trains (more so on American), the wheels are less visible than with 6-wide Lego trains due to the vehicles being wider than the track.

This has been discussed before but I totally agree that
A: Six wide is a bit too narrow to represent anywhere
B: American trains need to to be wider, they are so much bigger than UK trains(with mainland Europe somewhere in between) If I was modelling US prototype I would be tempted to go at least 9 wide.

Given that the wheels are not in the right place, I’ve hidden them behind the bogie side frames and put yellow dots where the real wheels should be. Very few people are any the wiser!!

I think that this has worked very well, its lucky that axleboxes are often painted bright colours

   Seeing the Miniland trains, they seem to be a metal chassis with some Lego plonked on top. A shame really, but for year-round reliability I suppose it’s necessary.

I my view they are not nearly as inventive as a lot of the MOCs you see on lugnet, I think its easer if you build larger, you can just get the curved shapes using plates, it is more traditional lego tho.

But don’t forget that there are different gauges within particular scales. What you have chosen is true for standard gauge of 4’8.5”, but LEGO track could also be used to simulate a narrow gauge at larger scales such as 1:25 or up. Brian Williams has done some work at Belville scale using LEGO track as narrow gauge (Feldbahn). That is why I use the dimensions of the LEGO wheels to dictate the scale rather than the track gauge, and why I am deciding to abandon LEGO altogether for the use of couplers, wheels and track, because they are simply too small to simulate 1:32.

I am working towards narrow gauge using lego track, as you say this means that different (real) track gauges will give different lego scales. At present I a modelling 2 foot/60cm guge prototypes, I can’t really give a stud width at the real widths varied so much but it works out at about 14-14 suds wide for a large loco. Next will be Swiss metre gauge, which will mean a smaller scale but the stock tends to be bigger so the models will work out to be about the same size.

I also have been doing a bit of CAD British standard gauge in seven wide just to make it hard (credit to Ben Beneke!)

As a British lego/train enthusiast I can see that Mark’s models have captured the look of the real thing very well. The Peak and the Hymek are superb but all of them are instantly recognisable, the coaches are the weak point if anything. I will also be looking hard at the broken-back tankers

Tim