 Trains / 21030
Re: Pictures of 8mm:1ft scale trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:37:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
Here's a link to pictures of my Lego trains

www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=35408

These are the trains (with others) that will be running at the NEC, Birmingham
in December.  All are built to (approximate) 8mm:1ft scale - usually 8-wide plus
extra bits.

The pictures are taken in my loft, which was built for the purpose (as we Brits
don't often have a large cellar).

You can see that the curves are spaced out with straights, but they are still
120ft radius (80ft in the yard) to the scale.

Have a look and tell us what you think!

Hello Mark-

I enjoyed viewing your trains-- I also build 8wide+, but I have calculated my
scales a little differently than you have.

Though the gauge of LEGO track "says" virtually 1 stud = 1 foot (about 10 wide),
I abandoned that scale almost immediately.  I didn't like how small the LEGO
wheels looked on a 10 wide, which are about the scale of 1:48.  That is the
scale I call 8wide (same as "O" scale here in the US), so even though the track
gauge is too wide, I still operate under the 1:48 scale.

That said, I also am working on a new scale which I call Lgauge1, which utilizes
gauge 1 track and trucks and comes out to be 12 wide for standard gauge at 1:32.
In the past I have dabbled in some 14 and even 16 wide cars, but I am settling
down on 12 wide, which is, ironically (to me, at least), almost the perfect
scale for Jack Stone figs:-)  I have 1 car completed which I still need to
photograph, and a few more are on the drawing table.  I also utilize some
modified minifigs for my townsfolk-- I'll really have to get some pics up...

All of this 1:32 business is directed towards creating a garden railroad, a la
the trains in Miniland (which also utilize non-LEGO track and trucks).  So, it
appears that I build slightly smaller as well as slightly larger than you:-)

John

Does anyone else build to this scale?

Mark Bellis