 Trains / 20430
Re: 3 new virtual train MOCs: Turboliner, le Shuttle, Psi-concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:20:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
["cockpit" SNOT technique?]

Yes, I would like to have some vertically oriented plates to frame the
"cockpit" windows.  Too much wrap-around glass in this current v1 form.

And if not in SNOT, possibly some black stickers would mock it up?

le Shuttle version 3:

Thanks.  It's a tight fit for the autos into the waggons.  I had to really
cut the top off the autos for the upper deck.  Put a minifigure into those
upper deck autos and I think they will look like they are at the LEGOLAND
themepark "Driving School"!

haha, :-)) It's always the same with any Lego® car: I can put my elbow on top of
most standard limosins - Lego®-figs can't even look over the roof tops... In
height most Lego® models seem to suffer under a negative compression
coefficient.

I think this waggon to carry lorries may be weak in the side-walls with all
the thin-wall panels and no cross-bracing until the roof is attached.  I
think it might emplode if a hand squeezes it hard!

Will you try to do one in real ABS? I myself can't do creative work in CAD, as I
realized. I need the bricks and use the CAD only to give people the CAD-files at
hand to check details (if someone should be interested). And of course the
rendering is great to get perfect illumination and contrast even in the
undercarriage of any model.

I think that I have read you saying that you do not like the modern "sleek"
passenger trains, in general:  the shape is too simple and lacks detail.  :-)

Right - I think most of theme are somewhat boring. Ok, a ICE III is quite cool,
but that cooles depends on the exact shapes which are all very rounded. I fear a
small size Lego® model will not be able to catch that impression.

These trains are like jet airplanes with no wings!  Just a cylinder on
wheels.

Yes, so it is not hopeless: there are some cool air-plane models to be found at
brickshelf. I thought a DC3 could never be done in Minifig style, till Klaus
Dobish came up with the "right" design for it. So I apreciate your approches to
model modern trains. Often enough you hit the nail onto its head. The Cisalpino
and some others are great models.

(I am wondering if Ben has a secret modern train hidden in his dark closet,
for he only shows us beautiful "old-fashion" steam trains.  ;-)

No, I gave up, after copying your starlight express years ago. I put lots of
money into that engine (bought 2 sets of 4559 new at normal price in retail
shop), but in the end it has been not "my" engine, but yours (only slightly
modified). Then I read too many model railroaders magazines and those do
criticise any electric engine that comes without the electric lines above track.
that has beeen the end of my electric engine chareer. And diesel isn't that
popular over here. So I ended in the steam engine time, when cars had mud gears
and houses haven't been built from concrete....

** too big cockpit part of psi **
:-)  With enough paint to this windscreen element-- as in its only two
     official set uses in Mars and Star Wars-- perhaps its use on a train
     would not be so offensive?

I think so. But that would be easier to do in real life than in CAD. I would
like to be proven wrong in case of this BURP-cockpit.

I like the Psi for its simplicity and straight-forward design.  It is simple
and a low height.  I imagine that the Psi might be able to navigate a real
train track circuit at top speed controller setting.  ??

In that case it can surely compete with 4559. I always thought that to be really
ugly. But then my nephew got a set of that and he played for hours with loading
and unloading containers and the train nearly never derailed....

But, perhaps Psi shows much about LEGO(R) modelling in general:

1) How unoriginal and "empty" a train design can become if it is only from my
own imagination.  But, I did intend this Psi train to be dominated and flow
from the start of this unique windscreen.

2) When we AFOLs view any LEGO(R) model of a real-life existing train, car,
truck, airplane, etc, we can superimpose our memory vision of the real-thing
over the top of the LEGO(R) model.  However good and finely detailed is the
LEGO model, memory vision serves to fill-in-the-blanks of details that the
LEGO(R) model lacks.  We recognize certain key and critical design elements
in the LEGO model that point us to the real-life version and compare the two
images in our "minds-eye".

I am set to wonder how well an original "imaginary" LEGO model creation would
translate into a real-life metal version of the LEGO model-- at least in 4,
6, 7, or 8-wide.   How large does a LEGO model need to be to reach the
critical resolution required for a good translation into a real-life model?

I think it works in any size as long as the prototype is well known to the
viewer.
http://www.1000steine.de/myimages/album23
and:
http://www.peer.gmxhome.de/Eisenbahn/2-Wide/2-wide.html

I like to visit the Mecha and particularly Space MOC creations to see the
unbounded design forms on exhibit.  Boy, talk about SNOT techniques!  Wheh!

Yes, there are some "wasted" talents... (speaking from the point of view of a
train head).

I like the real-life Sikorsky for its unusual design:

- passive pendulum swing
- single-axle wheels
- unique high-top cockpit
- age:  it is over 30 years old

Agree. The high cockpit seemed to be quite common those days: the TEE had a
similar high cab.
(and that guy used black tape for the cockpit...)
And Eric Brok (I think) has done a Dutch high cabin - the "Doghead"
(Hondekpop?)-train....

Ha!  The Psi could be viewed as a certain medicine pill:  "Hard to swallow"

A steam engine would be harder to swallow: the tube design with rounded point
should not hurt too much...

...who is not brave to show us?   ;-)

Why share bad designs? But the mercedes in my cars gallery is at least a quite
lame design.

Leg godt and have a nice weekend!

Ben