 Trains / 20423
Re: 3 new virtual train MOCs: Turboliner, le Shuttle, Psi-concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:13:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   With some time to browse the train galleries recently, I’ve tried initial design concepts for three trains:

(links should take you to MOCpages)

1) United Aircraft’s (Sikorsky) Turboliner in Amtrak livery:

That one is great, James!

I like the nose design, the built logo of Amtrak and the colour sceeme. Maybe the “cockpit” could be done with some more details by any kind of SNOT technique?

Yes, I would like to have some vertically oriented plates to frame the “cockpit” windows. Too much wrap-around glass in this current v1 form.

2) Eurotunnel le Shuttle:

le Shuttle version 3:

Without too much critism,

I definitely appreciate the criticism! Go!

   but that engine looks quite simple (except from nice and rare colours).

Yes, the engine is BORING! I’ve tried to SNOT-it-Up for version 3 with a try at using some roofing slopes. What do you think? I think it is a bit too long and sharp near the headlights.

   But I like the high two floor waggons and their sloped face side.

Thanks. It’s a tight fit for the autos into the waggons. I had to really cut the top off the autos for the upper deck. Put a minifigure into those upper deck autos and I think they will look like they are at the LEGOLAND themepark “Driving School”!

I have made a single-level waggon to carry truck (lorry):

Still trying to figure out a good SNOT technique to be rid of the gap in front of the cab’s front fender.

I think this waggon to carry lorries may be weak in the side-walls with all the thin-wall panels and no cross-bracing until the roof is attached. I think it might emplode if a hand squeezes it hard!

   3) Concept Psi Passenger Train:

And now - hmmm.... To be honest: I do not like the huge glass part and that dominates the whole design.

I think that I have read you saying that you do not like the modern “sleek” passenger trains, in general: the shape is too simple and lacks detail. :-) These trains are like jet airplanes with no wings! Just a cylinder on wheels.

(I am wondering if Ben has a secret modern train hidden in his dark closet, for he only shows us beautiful “old-fashion” steam trains. ;-)

   In my eyes this does not look like a train.

Maybe this Psi train is a new “Tube” for the London Underground system? It is a slug that rides inside a tube.

   But still: - as a concept is does work - it shows this part does not work for a train front.... (as long as someone might prove it can work though).

:-) With enough paint to this windscreen element-- as in its only two official set uses in Mars and Star Wars-- perhaps its use on a train would not be so offensive?

   Please allow just one little question out of curiosity: Is the Sikorsky you personal favorite among this three trains as well? And the Psi train the one you are not really convinced about yourself?

I like the Psi for its simplicity and straight-forward design. It is simple and a low height. I imagine that the Psi might be able to navigate a real train track circuit at top speed controller setting. ??

But, perhaps Psi shows much about LEGO(R) modelling in general:

1) How unoriginal and “empty” a train design can become if it is only from my own imagination. But, I did intend this Psi train to be dominated and flow from the start of this unique windscreen.

2) When we AFOLs view any LEGO(R) model of a real-life existing train, car, truck, airplane, etc, we can superimpose our memory vision of the real-thing over the top of the LEGO(R) model. However good and finely detailed is the LEGO model, memory vision serves to fill-in-the-blanks of details that the LEGO(R) model lacks. We recognize certain key and critical design elements in the LEGO model that point us to the real-life version and compare the two images in our “minds-eye”.

I am set to wonder how well an original “imaginary” LEGO model creation would translate into a real-life metal version of the LEGO model-- at least in 4, 6, 7, or 8-wide. How large does a LEGO model need to be to reach the critical resolution required for a good translation into a real-life model?

I like to visit the Mecha and particularly Space MOC creations to see the unbounded design forms on exhibit. Boy, talk about SNOT techniques! Wheh!

I like the real-life Sikorsky for its unusual design:
  1. passive pendulum swing
  2. single-axle wheels
  3. unique high-top cockpit
  4. age: it is over 30 years old
I don’t like my Sikorsky model version because I don’t have a working single-axle and pendulum mechanism. And, as you mentioned, the cockpit needs framing around the windows.

   Or is it just my point of view, when I do not like this model so much?

I don’t know. I think none of these 3 new models are my favourite. I choose not to choose.

   Among your other great designs this one is a “Griff ins Klo” (=grip into the toilet?) as we would say in German...

Ha! The Psi could be viewed as a certain medicine pill: “Hard to swallow” OR “Makes you *go*” ;-)

   Leg Godt!

Ben (who has already done some really ugly models himself....)

...who is not brave to show us? ;-)

Thanks for the great response and critique!

later,

James Mathis