 Trains / 19814
Re: time-lapse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:51:47 GMT

Try QuickMovie 1.5. It's OS X Ready, and I believe does everything you're
asking. It's shareware and quite easy to use. I'm pretty sure it can do 1000
frames at a time, and it might be able to do all 2000 in one go. Otherwise, just
make two movies and paste them together.

QuickMovie is available (free 397K download) at:
http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductPages/QuickMovie.html

I'd volunteer to do the conversion, but I don't have the hard drive space for
it. But downloading, learning, and running the program shouldn't take more than
10 minutes total. Then it's just unattended processing time.

Hope that helps!

Rick Clark

In lugnet.trains, Todd Lehman writes:
I'm taking a 2000-frame (80 seconds) time-lapse movie today of the PNLTC
layout at the Oregon Convention Center.

What's a good way to take a whole bunch of frames and string them together
into an MPEG movie?

The source images, once I get them off my camera, will be low-res 1536x1024
JPEGs, each about 500 KB, which I'd like to crop down to 1536x1152 (16:9
widescreen aspect ratio) and then downsample to 768x576 before conversion to
MPEG.

I know how to batch crop and downsample using standard Unix tools like the
PNM utilities, but I don't yet know how to make an MPEG.  I've got an OS X
laptop and a RedHat Linux server at my disposal.  Maybe there's an easy way
using iMovie.

I believe in the "teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
philosophy, so I do want to learn how to do this myself, but I'm crunched
for time this weekend and it'd be kind of fun to share this right away.  If
I uploaded all the raw JPEG images (these will total about 1 GB), is there
someone out there with JPEG-to-MPEG conversion experience who would be
interested in doing the conversion?