 Trains / 19760
Re: 7-wide Swiss Re 4/4 Electric Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:16:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
After modeling the (impossible-to-build) 7-wide passenger coaches with hinge
shovel scoop bits, I stuck to 7-wide for a go at a Swiss Re 4/4.

The Swiss Re 4/4 is characterized by a steeply sloping complex angled face
and large front and side-front windows.
7-wide fit well for two SNOT-wise standard 4-wide car/truck windscreens.  I
think gets close, yet there are some unsightly gaps in the structure.

I don't see any really big gaps, but the nose looks too steep.  Spiffy
technique though on that.

Here's the real Re 4/4:
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/ch/SBB_CFF_FFS/electric/Re4_4_II/green/11333.jpg
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/ch/SBB_CFF_FFS/electric/Re4_4_II/green/pix.html
http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/ch/SBB_CFF_FFS/electric/Re4_4_II/red/Austria/pix.html

I don't usually like Euro diesels, but this is very smooth and streamlined.
Neat engine.

And, my attempt to model the Re 4/4:

I think the model is a bit too tall, and the characteristic white stripe is
incomplete around the front. I've also put too many doors on the model.  I'm
not sure if side doors are on both sides at the same end of the loc, orif
they are on both sides at opposite ends; i.e., one door per cab.
Comments/Suggestions?

I have to agree, the model is too tall.  There seems also to be only one
door per cab as you say.  I think it's also a bit on the short side, though
perhaps that is to preserve sanity?  :^)

Neat model though, regardless.

-Stefan-