 Trains / 19429
Re: N de M QR-1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:02:20 GMT

Hi Stefan!

Holger's right, I love seeing big steam engine MOCs!  This looks great -
some of the features I really dig are:

(1) the boiler steps are a nice touch
(2) working linkages - yay!
(3) I really like some of the details you included on the tender - that hatch
is an eloquent touch, being off-center, and the detailing along the back is
sweet.

How does it do on tracks?

Pretty good, considering the size.  Despite being double-motored, it still
seems to have a weak drawbar pull.  If both motors were under the boiler,
it'd probably be better.

If I had to single out one or two little nitpicky suggestions, I'd say that the
steam cylinders look just a tad too small - being such a large engine, they
look a little dwarfed - and the cab looks a little too long, as comapred to the
prototype pictures.  I realize that seemingly minor changes like these often
become massive undertakings, and you shouldn't take my comments to imply any
less appreciation or amazement with your engine.

I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in the cab length until you mentioned it.
Back to work!  :^)  As for the steam chests, they had to be reduced some for
the pilot truck to clear, but methinks I'll add one more row of curved
bricks, as they are too skinny.  Thanks!

Great work!  I'd love to see this beauty running at a show, with all of the
oohs and ahhs it would elicit!

Hehe.  Actually at it's premiere show, it didn't last but 20 min. until I
found out it had lost it's pilot somehow and stuffed it back on a siding.
It's been lightened up and a bit improved for it's next run at Toronto.

Thanks for the kind words!

-Stefan-