 Trains / 19405
Re: N de M QR-1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:44:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:
Howdy y'all!

My latest, and, IMO, greatest engine has finally been photographed.  It's a
Níagara-class 4-8-4 dual service engine, owned by the Mexican National
Railways.  There's prototype pics at the bottom.

On the details side, there are red-accented safety details, boiler steps,
and a detailed backhead with firebox glow.  I also put on simulated
builder's plates near the front of the boiler.  It also has working side
rods and an operating headlight.  The simulated three-axle tender trucks and
side rods are Shaun's design.  The numerous number boards around the
headlight are thanks to a 1x1 w/ studs on all sides fitted onto the light
bulb.

Hi Stefan!

Holger's right, I love seeing big steam engine MOCs!  This looks great -
some of the features I really dig are:

(1) the boiler steps are a nice touch
(2) working linkages - yay!
(3) I really like some of the details you included on the tender - that hatch
is an eloquent touch, being off-center, and the detailing along the back is
sweet.

How does it do on tracks?

If I had to single out one or two little nitpicky suggestions, I'd say that the
steam cylinders look just a tad too small - being such a large engine, they
look a little dwarfed - and the cab looks a little too long, as comapred to the
prototype pictures.  I realize that seemingly minor changes like these often
become massive undertakings, and you shouldn't take my comments to imply any
less appreciation or amazement with your engine.

Great work!  I'd love to see this beauty running at a show, with all of the
oohs and ahhs it would elicit!

-s