 Trains / 19353
  Train Wheel Friction?

There was a thread several months ago dealing with the issue of the new train wheels rubbing on the blocks. The thread mostly mentioned the problem in relation to the gray wheelsets that come with the Santa Fe loco and cars. However, I've also (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

(...) My modest LEGO train collection consists of one MOT kit, one Santa Fe Kit (full train, not starter), and one Metroliner kit. These are all sets with the "new" wheelsets. For the most part I think I lucked out with the MOT and Santa Fe. Both (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

I contacted Lego Direct and presented the problem to them stating that there was significant drag on the gray wheel sets. In the course of the discussion the lady (name escapes me) who is the customer service rep for trains was not aware of this (...) (21 years ago, 22-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

(...) Well, this is really a different issue, but it seems appropriate to mention it here. In the MOT instructions, it has the the motor as the front bogie, but in practice this causes a lot of slippage even with a small number of carriages being (...) (21 years ago, 22-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

(...) I too have been using a sharp knife to take small slivers of plastic out from each wheel block. As a result, there has been a tremendous improvement in the performance of each train. Previously the Santa Fe engine was struggling to pull more (...) (21 years ago, 22-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

(...) Someone mentioned a while back that they found a good thin-walled rubber hose about the right diameter, and cut rings off that to provide grip for the old 4.5v wheels. I can't lay my hands on the post right now.... ROSCO (21 years ago, 23-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Wheel Friction?

(...) a (...) I tried a Dremel tool, a small file and a hobby knife (in that order). Of those, the knife produced the best results by far. Not only is it quicker, but there is little or no collateral damage to the block. Also, for some reason I've (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.trains)