 Trains / 19214
Re: SW9 with calf and the San Diego Coaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 01:41:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Seibert writes:
"Robert Powell" <rpowell@soundvet.com> wrote in message
Hello All,
I just completed 2 new MOC's for BricksWest; a Union Pacific SW9 with calf
and the San Diego Coaster that was designed by James Mathis.

The switcher and calf looks great. I like the decals. The hardest thing to
get right is the scale proportions and think you got dead on.  I cannot
remember the correct person's name but they made decals for stained glass
church windows for a MICHLUG display. If someone from MICHLUG can provide
info on the materials they used I would appreciate it too.

You're thinking of MichLTC, and Peter Guenther. He made stained glass by
printing onto a transparent material that sticks by static electricity (like
colorforms(tm) do), and then positioning them onto transparent 1x4x3 panels.

This material (the name of which is escaping me at the moment) which you
apply dry, has no adhesive, so it's not a sticker, and you don't use water
to activate the adhesive and float it onto the surface, so it's not a decal
either.

The downside of the material that Peter found, though, is that after some
months it apparently adhered to the transparent panels and didn't come off
cleanly (so much for it being only static electricity!). So it may not work
out well for this application unless one plans never to take the transfers off.

I'll let Peter know of your interest if he doesn't spot your post himself soon.

As for the switcher models that prompted the query, they're nice. Modeling
the roof overhangs with overlapping plates is an interesting approach. It's
really tough to get the overhang itself to be rounded which is why I didn't
bother to try at all on my MTW-2001...

http://gelwood.railfan.net/manual/sw8-app.html (very similar in layout to an
SW9)
http://www.railpace.com/photogallery/old/dot436.jpg