 Trains / 1916
Re: Questions regarding 4533(Snow Remover)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:34:33 GMT

My design is more straight forward and not as cool as Will's.  I put a 5114 9
volt motor just behind the blade and simply ran an axle out of it.  I get my
power from a 5115 9 volt battery box (which has the two red switches for
forward and reverse, thus eliminating the need for a polarity switch) which I
place near the door in the center of the car for easy access.  When I have it
sitting on the GMLTC layout, I remove the battery pack and run a motor wire
under the car to a transformer for power (also allows forward and reverse).

BTW, The rotary plow I'm modeling was essentially a boxcar with a rotary plow
slapped onto it, and therefore required a separate unit for power and
propulsion.

-John

Mookie wrote:

One thing I sure want to put into this puppy is something from Will
Chapman's page... Anyone else build one of these????
http://www.halcyon.com/willc/lego/robotics/powr_ind.htm
if so, how did you make the contacts to the battery? just straighten out
the end of the spring a little so it touch's the battery terminals?

I'm working on gearing the rotor right now... and instead of using the
wheels on the rails I want to power the thing on it's own.. will take
care of some of the drag on the engine from pushing it around...
It's just a matter of how fast that's going to make the rotor spin...
There's really not much room to put a lot of gears in there to gear it
down some.. And I don't want the thing moving backwards if I put it on
the track alone.. though the blades aren't turned enough to give any
kind of "breeze" either so that should really be no problem. To bad they
didn't.. we could make air powered vehicles!

Tamy