 Trains / 185
Re: A new diesel by Ben
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:40:29 GMT

Yes, it uses two 1x2/1x4 angle brackets.  both attach to a 2x6 plate.  The two
medium slopes attach to either side and a non rotating magnet base attaches to
the middle with a couple of 2x2 plates to space it out far enough.  The upper
angle bracket attaches to the wheel base/bogie, capped with two 2x2 tiles or
the bogie pivot plate.  The lower angle bracket is upside down (relative to
the first.  It doesn't attach to anything but in this position, does but up
against the wheelset and keeps it from rotating off the top bracket.  Overall,
I consider it fairly robust.

I'd like to call it an AC6000CW.  I originally had it four stud longer but
chose to slectively shorten it to keep it in line with all the other rolling
stock I have.

Ben

<snip>
I like it. The truck mounted front coupler with side slopes is a good
idea, how'd you do it? 1x2/1x4 angle bracket? Note that I have a body
mounted front coupler that looks similar on big red... but it's not very
sturdy. How sturdy is yours?

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1857/newdiesel.htm

Also, can someone please tell me what type of diesel it looks most like?
(Larry P?)

To me it evokes GE because of the big radiators in back.
See: http://www.ge.com/transportation/ts2.htm
and make your own determination.

If I had to pick a specific model, I'd say an AC6000CW or Dash 9. Both
have the full width noses and "comfort cabs" unlike say a U-33C or
something. But of course, your engine is proportionally shorter than
they are. Can't be helped. Selective compression is required in this
application.

Here's more on the AC6000CW
http://www.ge.com/transportation/artic20c.htm

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.