 Trains / 18487
Re: my first steam moc - 4-4-4 (wheel expirement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:20:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jerry Sievert writes:

this was my result:

  http://www.q7.com/~jerry/photo/steam-4-4-4.jpg

  http://www.q7.com/~jerry/photo/steamfront-4-4-4.jpg

again, this was mostly put together as a first test of my wheels.  which
failed, btw ;-) ... it handles points just fine, but sharp turns are deadly
(may be able to handle shallow turns, but i dare not try, lest my wife get mad
about too much lego in the living room <grin>).

anyways, my first steam moc.

Looks good, Jerry!

What, exactly, are those wheels?  They almost look like black wagon wheels, but
I can't quite make them out.  Are they LEGO?

As for turns ... what wheels are affixed rigidly to the chassis, and which can
rotate?  I've found that, with working pistons, I'm always making the driver
wheels rigid with respect to the chassis, but I always have to mount the
leading and trailing wheelsets on turntables or bogie plates.  I can't tell
from the pictures if you've done the same or not.

I'm still working on the LDraw model, and hope to get a lot more done on it
this weekend .. plus some improvements?

Keep up the good work.  Now, how can we make use of those black wagon wheels
... ??

-s