 Trains / 18493
Re: my first steam moc - 4-4-4 (wheel expirement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:20:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

As for turns ... what wheels are affixed rigidly to the chassis, and which can
rotate?  I've found that, with working pistons, I'm always making the driver
wheels rigid with respect to the chassis, but I always have to mount the
leading and trailing wheelsets on turntables or bogie plates.  I can't tell
from the pictures if you've done the same or not.

i built a mounting system for the wheels, and put that on a bogie plate.  since
i didn't put pistons on, i had full rotation.  my problem came in when the
track noticed that the length of the engine was a bit too long.  i had a small
de-railment.  perhaps if i made the length of the engine a tad bit shorter, i'd
be able to make it around sharp turns.

i also have built a an internal steering system of sorts, for 6-wheel, but was
in a hurry and have not tried that out yet.  if interested, i can put up an
ldraw model of what i'm working on, and hopefully get some comments/insights
going on how to make it all work?