 Trains / 18182
Re: Container Cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:42:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Hi Jeff,
Critique to follow, don't mean to be too negitive :)
I just looked at your car and wondered why 7 wide? I don't see how the 7th
stud did anything for you on this design, the foot print is still 4 wide
between the 1x2 tiles with-rod-on-top. Could this just as easily been built
on a 6 wide? BTW I'm not saying that 7 wide is a bad idea.

Sorry for the slpw reply, I reorganized my Brickshelf folder, and updated
the Container car.

My original reason for going 7 wide was so that I could still build some
walls along the side of the wagon. See my second version here:
The first version was modeled after the protptype that I built, At the time,
and currently I am short of the 1 x 2 tile 'with rod on top' so I was not
competly done the design, I still want to go back to the drawing board, and
attach the sides ot the wagon to the ends, to give it a more solid appearance.

Also I can't tell the bay length relative to the container but it seems that
the 1x2 plate with the slide slot you have placed over the top of the 1x2
tiles with-rod-on-top on the ends of the bay might catch the lip of the
plate on the bottom of the containers.
This is a good point, I may end up removing that peice totally or putting a
couple of 1 x 1 bricks with headlight and a 1 x 2 tile over that peice to
eliminate that problem.

Hope this makes sense.
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Jeff Van Winden writes:
In lugnet.trains, Jeff Van Winden writes:

Here are the pics, Let me know what you think.
Jeff VW

good thinking! That problem with too tight grip by the well of the car means
that even the hand cranked cranes in, for example 4549, don't always grip
snugly enough. I tried using 1x2 thinwalls but the tile with rod on top
solution seems better.

Render image until moderation is completed.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Trains/RollingStock/ContainerCar/a_complete.jpg

I can't tell because of the high angle, but are your couplers a plate or two
higher than standard? That may give you some interoperability problems if
the stock is mixed in with other stuff.
Nope, I just had a quick look, I think what you see is a 2 x 2 tile, which
does make it look odd.. Sorry for the high angle, I installed the l3p add on
lastnight, and did not get a chance to figure out the angles...

Thanks fr the feedback!
Jeff VW

Good point Larry! It is actually a plate higher, which may not cause that
much of a problem... I will have to have a quick look at this...