 Trains / 1778
Re: 5300 (9V motor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:31:26 GMT

Robert Munafo wrote:

The main issue I'm looking at right now has to do with the 9 volt motor,
available as service part number 5300. I want to build a mobile platform that
runs on tracks. It needs to get power continuously, but I don't want it to move
continuously. I'm just using the track as a way of getting the power from the
AC adapter to the mobile platform.

The 9-volt train motor picks up the electricity from the tracks and runs it
directly to the motor. I need to be able to open it up and break the circuit
somewhere between the motor and the wheels (both wires) and run all four
connections (two for power supply, two for motor) to connectors which I can
then attach to standard 9V leads and/or conducting plates. I don't have one yet
so I don't even know if it's possible to take one apart.

Has anyone figured out how to do this, or whether it's even possible?

The consensus is that it is possible, and in fact, I think someone has
done it. See Brian's green German train in the GMLTC NMRA show pics
(various sites).

It is impure(1) to do so as opening up the motor irreparably damages it
(but not in a way that makes it unusable). However, if I could mount a
DCC module inside a motor, I'd consider doing it (2).

Before you do this, look into using springloaded power contacts. The
spring unit used by MasterBuilder James Mathis in his 3 car monorail can
be coerced into being a power pickup, at least in theory.

1 - this matters more to me than to some.

2 - DCC is the Model Railroad standard for command/control, that is, the
ability to control multiple motors on the same track by addressing
commands to each one separately (the command channel is rf pulses
imposed on the 12V DC or 9VDC or whatever voltage you're using) which
each motor control computer interprets and acts on.)

SEE: (wrapped, need to repaste)
http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Hobbies/Models/Trains_and_Railroads/Manufacturers/Control_Systems/DCC___Digital_Command_Control/

and

http://www.tttrains.com/dcc/

BTW this is an example of a standard that has arisen with no dominant
manufacturer and no government body mandating it. So naturally I love
it, conceptually.

lugnet.