 Trains / 1774
1773  |  1775
Subject:
5300 (9V motor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:41:59 GMT

I am researching the feasibility of building an RCX project (mobile wireless TV
camera) that moves on a fixed course and gets its power from the mains via an
AC adapter (rather than from batteries) and as such, the train components seem
to provide most of the solution.

The main issue I'm looking at right now has to do with the 9 volt motor,
available as service part number 5300. I want to build a mobile platform that
runs on tracks. It needs to get power continuously, but I don't want it to move
continuously. I'm just using the track as a way of getting the power from the
AC adapter to the mobile platform.

The 9-volt train motor picks up the electricity from the tracks and runs it
directly to the motor. I need to be able to open it up and break the circuit
somewhere between the motor and the wheels (both wires) and run all four
connections (two for power supply, two for motor) to connectors which I can
then attach to standard 9V leads and/or conducting plates. I don't have one yet
so I don't even know if it's possible to take one apart.

Has anyone figured out how to do this, or whether it's even possible?

(Note that I don't plan to power the track with a standard variable
transformer, just a constant 9V DC power supply with an on/off switch connected
to the tracks.)

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13