 Trains / 1785
Re: 5300 (9V motor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:04:30 GMT

[...]
It is impure(1) to do so as opening up the motor irreparably damages it
(but not in a way that makes it unusable). However, if I could mount a
DCC module inside a motor, I'd consider doing it (2).

Yeah, I kind of thought it might be hard to open the motor without damaging it.
I guess I'll bite the bullet and get one so I can try it. That means of course
I'll have to buy about 20 service packs worth of track (-:

Before you do this, look into using springloaded power contacts. The
spring unit used by MasterBuilder James Mathis in his 3 car monorail can
be coerced into being a power pickup, at least in theory.

I saw that some people were using springloaded power contacts, but it doesn't
solve my problem of making the motor turn on and off. My project won't work
unless the RCX can turn the motor on and off at its own choosing, to control
the movement of the entire assembly. That means, even with power pickups, you
still need to get at the motor's wires so the motor can be controlled
seperately.

[...]
2 - DCC is the Model Railroad standard for command/control, that is, the
ability to control multiple motors on the same track by addressing
commands to each one separately (the command channel is rf pulses
imposed on the 12V DC or 9VDC or whatever voltage you're using) which
each motor control computer interprets and acts on.)

Yeah, DCC is great, and I'll probably use it someday for my HO layout [1] but
it's sort of a move in the wrong direction for my LEGO project. I don't have to
send any commands to the mobile platform, it will be entirely autonomous. And,
the platform will have sensors, which determine how it behaves. Since DCC uses
a one-way communication protocol, that is difficult unless the DCC controller
is on the mobile platform as well. Also, buying six DCC receivers and a
controller (and then learning how to program the controller) is overkill when I
can do everything I want with the RCX and LEGO components I already own.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13

[1] which is big -- about 200 feet of track in a 10x20 room with 6 circuits and
two analog controllers, and about a dozen steam locomotives from the 1940's and
1950's meticulously hand-made by my grandfather. It's partly because of being
used to HO scale that I'm not too interested in LEGO trains -- they're so darn
*big* (-: