 Trains / 1678
Re: GMLTC Modules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:36:27 GMT

It takes an ungodly amount of bricks and time to construct a section.  The
quickest way to to pre-build your columns and lay them out so the honeycombing
can go quicker.  If I wasn't building to a already existing structure and I
knew I wasn't going to lay a train inside of the landscape I might do 12 or 16
bricks high instead of 20.  (The orignal layout had 30 bricks high).  The
landscape really chews up 2x2 and 2x4.

The sections have between 18,000 and 30,000 bricks in them, depending on the
section.  We cart them in a twenty foot (maybe it's longer I ask tomorrow I've
never measured it..) horse trailer.  The trailer is now full of racks that
hold three sections apiece.  The thought is that we will soon have to rethink
that as the additional sections we're talking about will overfill the trailer.

The show has kept us real busy or i'd have the web server on it's IP and have
the construction photos scanned in.  Probably by next weekend....  Shot a LEGO
documentary on video for the show.  Should be available as AVI when the server
goes live.

-john

Mike, I was about to reply to your e-mail but saw your post and just placed it
here.

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
Has anyone ever tried to make one of those train modules they use in the
GMLTC?  I am starting one and it is taking A LOT of bricks and also a lot of
time.  I cannon really imagine having 8, let alone Conan's 16.  I was hoping
to have it done before the BayLUG meeting, but I don't think there is any way
that is going to happen.

On a side note, I did some figuring.  If he has 2-3 million bricks, it would
cost about 25-38 thousand dollars and would be 1 to 1 1/2  40 FOOT TRUCKLOADS
of bulk tubs!  That is CRAZY!  My 100,000 piece collection occupies most of
the rec room.  How can he fit 30 times that in a house?

Back on topic, I was wondering if there was a secret on how to make these
things a little easier to build.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike