 Trains / 16681
16680  |  16682
Subject:
Virtual Southwestern-style Train Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:37:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

More tinkering with the new 2x2 curved slope element has led me to try a
start to a virtual train station.  This 2x2 curved slope, used in massive
virtual quantities, seems to approximate the Spanish roof tiles.  This 2x2
curved slope has become a CAD favorite for the moment.  (I need to get back
to reality and use readily available pieces!-- even as I think CAD.)

The station is constructed in modules that could be chained together in a
variety of orientations and cummulative lengths with minimal modification or
possibly no mods at all.
- The gray platform building foundation is comprised of 4x12 gray bricks.
- The lower level picture-type windows and side-by-side doors are drop-in
panels so you can configure lobby areas easily with doors, windows, or leave
the area open.
- The second story rooms could be left off of the structure.  Add a
perimeter row of brick to the base of the roof modules, then drop the roof
modules down on top of the single story section of the building.
- The first and second story sections can be lengthend by adding more
"middle" sections to either the middle or anywhere for the most part. Same
with the long sections at either end.
- The platform with yellow/black hazaard stripes is composed of modules, as
well, so you could make the platform long or short, or double-wide fairly
easily.

Not that I can build this station out of my own pile of bricks, nor get all
the pieces easily, but I thought this might be a nice design "thought
approach" to making a large structure from smaller "kits" that link together.

For me, the inspiration for this station design comes from seeing the new
train station in Albuquerque, New Mexico and the Santa Fe Depot near
Downtown San Diego, California.

A new Albuquerque station is currently under construction in a Southwestern
Spanish(?) style.  The old station burned down, save the baggage building,
in 1993.  The cause for the fire is reported to have been a spark(s) from a
passing freight train.  I haven't found any photos on-line of the new
station, but here is a link to two photos of the old station:
http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtStationAB.html

Perhaps parts of this modular building design could be converted to
currently available S@H bulk brick packs:
- gray bricks and arches packs instead of tan
- black window and door packs
- standard roof packs
- black tile packs

I do need to qualify this design as conceptual and preliminary.  I haven't
real-brick built this station, and there may be several design flaws and
improvements necessary to realize a fully robust module design.  It's just a
start.

later,
James Mathis