 Trains / 16382
Re: Me = Broken Record (cool new train by James Mathis)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 08:05:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I was just admiring your work on your new MOC, James, and I have to say
it really looks smart!  That color combo really works in LEGO,
especially in the passenger cars.  My only nit is that if ever a proto
cried out to be created in 8 wide, this one is it!  That would allow you
to slant in more on the sides to nail that angle.  Either way, however,
it is a looker:-)

Yes - Congrats to that model. Nice colours and lots of nifty details including
the clever angle.

Glad you like it.
I almost ventured into 8-wide with this, but I really stayed but with 6-wide
to see if I could get any semblance of the real locomotive compressed down to
6.

In fact a successful work, which you have shown here, James

I'm definitely not original in this slant-style of construction.  My memory
is of Ben Beneke's steam loc's that use this inward slant on the cab side
windows.

I did it over 2 years ago first time on my BR03 (with LGB wheels). That model
has been my first trial in 7-wide, but after a week I decided to rebuild it in
6-wide (today I am not too sure if that was an improvement).

Maybe his was 7-wide?  Is this it?

Yes, that is a detail of my BR50 (My personnal favorite, therefor it is now on
top of my homepage).
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/trains/original.html#BR50

Those German(?) guys are angling and dangling stuff all over their models.
Very clever.  Lots of angling on this locomotive:
Looks 8-wide.

Yes, 8-wide BR 218 by (German) Michael Schian (who built the red stream lined
steam engine too.)
If you are interested in some of his detail solutions, take a look at this:
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/37769.htm
http://www.leg-godt.de/rohbau-2.jpg

Sorry for leaving anybody out and not getting the photo/model credits to the
appropriate builder.  Good stuff, as always, and very inspiring to me!

I think it is quite difficult to do any new inventions nowadays, since lots of
ideas have been published somewhere before. But if they appear, one would be
stupid not to overtake them for own models (and often enough you find a clever
way to use one brick and have to learn somebody else has already done that
before).

For e.g. your steam dome (from the old BR 74) is now to be found on hundreds of
locos. My friend Fank Abel came up with the idea to add (none rotating)
connecting rods to the middle stud of the 80ies wheels (and lots of people
copied that). Other people have done designs on wheel arrangements that pass
through points an curves etc and if you plan a own design you just have to
copy that (and make it fitting to your model)...

I think the possibly most copied design could be the corrugated box car body of
Gianluca Morelly.

But still there are lots of possibilities for new designs. Last week I have
been amazed to see this clever roof construction: simple but totally new for me
and with a surprising effect:
http://www.1000steine.de/gallery3/g212/picture.pl?search=03&header=nr&method=ex
act
Use the buttons on the downside for navigation and views from other directions.

Here's a link to the proposed passenger wagons for this locomotive:

Will you do these in bricks also? Should be a nice train then.

Have a nice weekend!

Ben

(who is going to Legoland Günzburg/Germany tomorrow. That park opens to the
public next weekend, but this weekend 500 fans from 1000steine.de are invited
to have a sneak preview! Brad Justus will be there too (and I would be more
than glad to change a few words.)