 Trains / 16381
Re: Me = Broken Record (cool new train by James Mathis)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 23:39:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I was just admiring your work on your new MOC, James, and I have to say
it really looks smart!  That color combo really works in LEGO,
especially in the passenger cars.  My only nit is that if ever a proto
cried out to be created in 8 wide, this one is it!  That would allow you
to slant in more on the sides to nail that angle.  Either way, however,
it is a looker:-)

Glad you like it.
I almost ventured into 8-wide with this, but I really stayed but with 6-wide
to see if I could get any semblance of the real locomotive compressed down to 6.

I'm definitely not original in this slant-style of construction.  My memory
is of Ben Beneke's steam loc's that use this inward slant on the cab side
windows.  Maybe his was 7-wide?  Is this it?

Those German(?) guys are angling and dangling stuff all over their models.
Very clever.  Lots of angling on this locomotive:
Looks 8-wide.

Sorry for leaving anybody out and not getting the photo/model credits to the
appropriate builder.  Good stuff, as always, and very inspiring to me!

(I'm talking about this:

And BTW, the new parts designed by Steve and cut by Tommy (I saw some
protos in person) are really cool, but in this application I think that
the standard profile brick (corrugated) is the right choice.

Thanks for voicing your opinion on the brick choice.  You have no doubt
noticed that I couldn't build the real brick model with the 1x2 corrugated
bricks-- don't have enough left.  If I have any, they must be burried in
some MOCs somewhere....

Glad to see that you are going ahead and building as well as
designing:-) ;-)

I can't give up real-brick building sessions; can't let these finger tips go
soft.  ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a link to the proposed passenger wagons for this locomotive:
The look and construction of the passenger wagons may not be exactly
protypical, nor the match to the MZ class diesel, but for now, for me, I
think I like it ok.  Doubt I'll ever get a black 2x6x2 black windscreen as
is now so readily available in red on the Super Chief loc.  Sigh....

later,
James Mathis