 Trains / 15613 (-10)
  Re: Santa Fe caboose

(...) "B" Calf is a cabless road switcher. These are hood units, the cabless versions are "B" units. Same sort of idea, more horsepower without an additional engineer, but different term. (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

We are have a railcar manufacturer here in Portland called Gunderson that makes (www.gbrx.com/produc...rame.html) container cars. There is a picture gallery at there site. SteveB (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: "Super Chief" (was: Santa Fe caboose)

(...) Not yet it doesn't and it won't if we don't let it! (why do I feel like King Canute??... And no, I wasn't "begging that question") (...) Sure. Usually freight geared. (...) Undoubtedly. Some units got a temp assignment. Some units got regeared (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) Intermodal used to describe a system of transportation for a container of some sort that uses multiple modes from departure to destination. This container can be a large, semi-trailer mounted container, or standard semi trailer, etc. If they (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  "Super Chief" (was: Santa Fe caboose)

Like it or not, the name now has two meanings: 1: A real-world named train, run by Santa Fe many years ago 2: A Lego set that consists of an EMD (F7? other F?) locomotive in Santa Fe's red/yellow/"silver" war-bonnet paint scheme. David can pull a (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) I believe that "articulated" is the correct term. Think of it as a single piece of rolling stock (which it is) that happens to bend in a few places. The term "intermodal" refers to the system of containers that are carried on ships, trains, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) The Super Chief ran passenger service between Chicago and Los Angeles. I'm not sure how the route crosses through states so I don't know exactly which states. As far as I know, it didn't go trough the Northeast, South, or Northwest. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Train Terminology Question

What is the generic name for container cars that share a set of wheels in between them? Similar to this: (URL) they called intermodals? Or is that a "brand" name? thanks, TJ (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) Well I just added 2 more in Massachusetts (8188 and 8263). (...) Well I can say the Super Chief never ran through New England. My guess is that is was mostly in the South West but I am not sure. Eric Kingsley (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe caboose

(...) Good job on the caboose. I also liked the calf unit you built. I want to get another Super Chief so I can make a calf too. One thing I'd like to point out, the Super Chief would never pull a caboose (not typically, anyway). The silver, red, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact