 Trains / 1546
Re: California Lego Train Club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.fno
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:16:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
I was wondering if there was interest in having a California Lego Train Club?
I live outside of Fresno, where I can find no AFOLs.  I would like to start a
train club and was wondering if anyone else in CA would like to discuss the
idea.

As I am near Fresno, I am equidistant from LA and SF.

  Well, I know there are a few folks in the San Diego area, and a few in
the SF Bay Area (maybe more than a few, but I haven't found 'em yet), and
you and Carrie in the outer-reaches.

  I'm a big proponent of getting a train group going. To that end, I'd
like to suggest that anyone interested in a wide-area train group should
consider building up a modular table or two, so that we can try to build
parts of a greater whole seperately, and then we can try to have an
occassional get-together where we bring the modules together to be bolted
into a bigger layout over a weekend, for fun and video/photo opportunities!

  Consider my Round House project (http://baylug.org/zonker/RondDom.html)
as a start, and look for the building plans for the PNLTC-designed tables
on http://baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html.

  Building the tables is not for the beginner, or the faint-of-heart. But,
maybe we could work on a project day where a few folks with woodworking
tools build a bunch of tables, and sell them for (close to) cost to the
budding Calif. LTC members who don't want to get splinters in their hands?

        -Z-       http://baylug.org      http://baylug.org/zonker