 Trains / 15332
Re: Adding the SF Coaches...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:20:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Dee writes:

At the moment I'm working on an RPO based on the image at this link. Does
anyone know whether it would have had doors on both sides? I seem to recall
that the British TPO (travelling post office) carriages were/are asymmetric.
With all those windows on the visible side, it is hard to figure how they
could have contained a sorting frame unless the other side was window-less.

Agreed. the interior is very likely asymmetric (I've seen plans of RPOs but
can't give a cite right now, they were in published in Model Railroader).
Notwithstanding that, there are certainly doors on both sides (in an area
that doesn't have the sorting frame, the car is long enough). US railroads
HATED the idea of a car that could only be run in one direction. Having a
door only on one side means  that would be the case (since the door was used
to dump outgoing and hook incoming mail at speed, it had to be on a certain
side of the track in operation).

It was bad enough that the observation cars had an 'endedness'. The RPO
would be configured so it could operate in either direction when the train
was made up, as would every other car in the consist, if possible.