 Trains / 14791
Re: Longest train, eh? (was: Two Easy Questions about Rolling Stock)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:59:24 GMT

Notes to those who've never done a truly huge train:
* As Ben mentioned, multiple steady hands on multiple regulators is key.
Our track wasn't really designed very well for the purpose of a train this
size, and our regulators weren't evenly spaced.  As a result, the train
would surge in various places and decouple.

Ya, for those wossies who use more than 1 motor, it is needed.  For those of us
who restrain ourselves to a single motor, one controller is fine :)

* If you want to use stock magnetic couplers, that is your limiting factor.
And just tossing in more locomotives in various places doesn't fully fix
this problem, because if the pushing/pulling power to the cars isn't
distributed properly then the couplers "buckle" on turns.

I'd agree.  At 90+ cars, the only way with a single motor was to "pick up" (or,
in american, to "Take Slack").  This is frowned on, since it can jerk out the
couplers on real trains.

James P