 Off-Topic / Fun / 8888
8887  |  8889
Subject:
Longest train, eh? (was: Two Easy Questions about Rolling Stock)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/fgltc/fgltc5.html

Back onto the topic of trains, one of the images here shows a bunch of beer
cars being pulled along a track.  The accompanying text states:

  "Later a second world record was reached, when the train was
   prolonged by 18 further yellow tipper waggons. This was
   definitely the longest pulled Lego®-train ever, maybe even
   the longest Lego® train ever put on the track!"

It *might* be the longest ever, but "definitely" is a strong word.  At the
Seattle Center House in August 2000 (a couple of months before this), PNLTC
was running a train that was at least 150 feet long.  I don't have a car
count, but close to half of the train was made up of 16-long hoppers.  It
never made it all the way around the track without decoupling, but we did
get a run or two where it went at least its own length.  I doubt there were
very many stock Lego cars on it, though, and there may not have been any.

We didn't register this train officially (with Guinness) for "longest train"
because we wanted to do that with a train that could consistently make it
all the way around the outer loop.  In the end, we registered a train with
well under half the total cars.

Notes to those who've never done a truly huge train:
* As Ben mentioned, multiple steady hands on multiple regulators is key.
Our track wasn't really designed very well for the purpose of a train this
size, and our regulators weren't evenly spaced.  As a result, the train
would surge in various places and decouple.
* If you want to use stock magnetic couplers, that is your limiting factor.
And just tossing in more locomotives in various places doesn't fully fix
this problem, because if the pushing/pulling power to the cars isn't
distributed properly then the couplers "buckle" on turns.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com