 Trains / 14712
Re: German DB236 Diesel Switcher Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:58:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

The real brick model came first.  I worked from a photo of a Maerklin model
in one of my Maerklin catalogs.

That was in the "Spur I" (gauge I) part in the back? ;-)
I often use the Maerklin catalogue for inspiration too...

I now have built a second unit to run the DB236 in tandem.  The Maerklin
model description said that two real-life units could be coupled for
increased power.  The text also said that service included switch-yard
duties, freight, and commuter transport.  Max speed was 60kmph (37.5mph).
Here's a POV of two units back-to-back. However, I'm not sure in what
orientation two units would be positioned:  back-to-back?  face-to-face?
back-to-face?

I never saw a face to face combination in any train modeller magazine.... But I
have to admit, that I have no idea about back-to-back or back-to-face
orientation: both seem to make sence...

Thanks to Jeroen for pointing me to the parts update for the textured • shutters!

I'm not sure what style of passenger equipment this DB236 might have hauled.
??

If you drive with 60 km/h diesel power a commuter train, that has for sure
only been on very small routes. So I think you will have seen only small (and
oldfashioned) 4-wheel cars behind these engine. Waggons that had no brakes
for high speed main lines any more have been used for such smaller lines much
longer.
But this is more or less a "guess": - I'm far too young to have ever seen a
DM236 with a passenger train.

Regards,

Ben