 Trains / 14528
Re: (No) New Lego Trains anytime soon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Richard Morton writes:
wondering and hoping...

At least the German 2002 catalogue (showing what you can buy in toy stores)
2002 is so bad that there is only hope for the next year left (and for new S@H
releases)... On 75 pages there are 2 pages with sets I might think
about to buy. Especially the Yoda is nice. Nevertheless the rest is worse than
all I have ever seen.

If Target is selling the Railway Express in clearance, does this mean that
it is possibly going to be discontinued soon? If so (and here's where the
wondering comes in) do you think another different set is on the way to
replace it this year?

I heard information from a TLC employee (who has to know), that there will be
NO new trains in 2002. Last year we had lots of news (MOT + legends / both only
available via S@H) in the train theme. This year nothing will happen. No new
sets for the shelves and as far as known no news for S@H (but S@H is very fast:
maybe they will make a surprise for April the 1st?) ;-))

I notice in the interview on Lego.com with Jorn
Thomsen (http://www.lego.com/eng/trains/legoengineers/profiles.asp?id=jt),
it is hinted that more trains are coming, but they seem to be hinting that
they will be in the  'My Own Train' range.

I read that and thought it was just to kill rumors concerning a complete train
line demission.

So I was just wondering if anyone
has heard anything along the rumor mill about any new train releases soon...

As said: exactely the other way round "rumors" say: No new trains in 2002!

It seems that Lego are realising that there are a lot of very active train
fans out there and I'm hoping that they will issue some quality stuff
(matching the amazing models that you guys are coming up with everyday)

I think we are a too small target. All we need are some parts as available in
the MOT waggons (like the wheel sets + magnet couplings), we will do the rest
better as TLC can do.

I was also wondering on a theoretical level, if Lego were to release a
totally new train set (and possibly new train parts), what would you like to
see?

A question for the FAQ.... But if often enough repeated we might get our
wished parts like the cypress trees have shown.

On the parts front I would love it if they released a better variety of
windows, especially for the front of the trains (something similar to
http://www.lego.com/trains/legoengineers/images/jt/und360x230us0tog11.jpg
which appears to be the Metroliner cab windows, but without the rest of the
sloping front).

That is very nice, but they should try to cut it in the middle, to allow
other width than 6-wide.

A better range of wheel sizes  would also be great for good looking steam
trains

BIG TRAIN WHEELS! Big train wheels - big train wheels.....
(Please in a size between 7750 and 396, with "eye" for connecting rods and in
colours red + black or dark grey.)

(some wheels without flanges would be good as well for those 0-6-0 or
0-8-0 arrangements which we currently have to use clever building techniques
to do).

Why without flanges? I prefer the more complicated wheel arrangements with
all wheels running on the track. At least 3 wheels can be put in a row if you
make a sliding middle wheel like here:
And you are limited for the maximum length of rolling stock without bogies
anyway by the radius of track curves.

Just to repeat it once again: my wish list at TLC:

- big trains wheels
- quarter track sections (you can spread these into curves and realize a bigger
curve radius by doing so)
- new colours for wheel sets and magnet couplings: red + dark grey
- train windows and doors in new colours tan, dark grey and brown would be very
cool!
- train doors in 3-wide (like to be seen in the brown 12V crocodile at
lego.com)
- new point geometry
- power-pick-up train wheel blocks (for light in waggons and technic motor
driven cranes etc)

Kind Regards,

Ben

P.s: bigger track curve radius by adding sections of straights between the
curved sections works really fine. Even (very) long trains run smooth through
this polygon curve. (so maybe we do not need quarter sections of track, but a
short section with pi*16 studs divided by xy?

This has been a s-s-s-s-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-c-s-s-s-s-s arrangement for a
double diameter 180° turn:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/fgltc/5_te_005.jpg