 Trains / 14527
14526  |  14528
Subject:
New Lego Trains anytime soon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:24:40 GMT

Hi all,

I was just sitting here resting after parting out the Railway Express sets I
bought at half off (10 copies at 50% off from Target, but that's another
story and yes I do have a problem!) and got to thinking, wondering and
hoping...

If Target is selling the Railway Express in clearance, does this mean that
it is possibly going to be discontinued soon? If so (and here's where the
wondering comes in) do you think another different set is on the way to
replace it this year? I notice in the interview on Lego.com with Jorn
Thomsen (http://www.lego.com/eng/trains/legoengineers/profiles.asp?id=jt),
it is hinted that more trains are coming, but they seem to be hinting that
they will be in the  'My Own Train' range. So I was just wondering if anyone
has heard anything along the rumor mill about any new train releases soon...
It seems that Lego are realising that there are a lot of very active train
fans out there and I'm hoping that they will issue some quality stuff
(matching the amazing models that you guys are coming up with everyday)

I was also wondering on a theoretical level, if Lego were to release a
totally new train set (and possibly new train parts), what would you like to
see?
Personally I would like to see some nice realistic new diesel and electric
locos and shunters. Maybe a set with 2 locos (one powered and one dummy) and
a couple of freight cars - similar to the trains you see.
On the parts front I would love it if they released a better variety of
windows, especially for the front of the trains (something similar to
http://www.lego.com/trains/legoengineers/images/jt/und360x230us0tog11.jpg
which appears to be the Metroliner cab windows, but without the rest of the
sloping front).
A better range of wheel sizes  would also be great for good looking steam
trains (some wheels without flanges would be good as well for those 0-6-0 or
0-8-0 arrangements which we currently have to use clever building techniques
to do).

Anyway, was just musing over a few things before I went to bed. I'd be
interested to see what other people think on this subject as well.

PS - My fingers are hurting after sorting through all those Target clearance
sets! The railway express set in my opinion isn't really up too much (good
for kids I guess, which is after all the end market), I think it's got some
pretty good parts though and I can see lots of possibilities! (especially in
10 copies worth ; )  )
Am I the only one who gets embarassed going to the checkout in Target with 2
shopping carts overflowing with Lego loot? My girlfriend pretends not to
know me -although she likes to build the sets once we get them home!

Richard.
http://lego.britdog.com