 Trains / 14038
Re: Job specific titles for train and rail crew
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:55:50 GMT

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:35:59 GMT, "James Powell"
<wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Jim Schifeling writes:
I recall Fireman, Brakeman, Conductor and Engineer (if you stretch it a
little: box car jumping hobo) How many other names for workers are there? Or
better yet job specific titles. Steam, Diesel/Electric, Elevated or whatever.

You can break it down a bit, to forward and rear brakeman, and add:
Ganger/Platelayer (UK term)
Signalman
Towerman
Crossing Gate Attendent
Dispatcher
Station Master
Porter
Knocker Up (used to go and wake crew prior to shifts)
Cleaner

Ther's a bunch who are back shop workers too...

James P

Here are a few more.

Yardmaster
Footboard Yardmaster (Yardmaster/Conductor type job)
Flagman (used to protect the rear of stopped trains in caboose days,
now used to protect non-railroad workers near the tracks)
Trainmaster (in charge of a small area of railroad or yard)
Assistant Trainmaster
Superintendent (in charge of a large area of railroad or yard)
Assistant Superintendent
Road Foreman (also R.F. of Engines or R.F.E.)
Foreman (Conductor)
Switchman (Brakeman)
Utility Brakeman (called UB on the radio)
Pilot (person who guides others in unfamiliar territory)
Clerk
Chief Clerk
IBM Clerk
Agent (as in Freight)
Special Agent (as in Police)
Chief Dispatcher
Conductor Trainee
Engineer Trainee
Switch Tender
Carman
Engine Maintainer
Caller (calls the crews to work)

Those are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many
more I can't think of right now.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/