 Trains / 13823
Re: Center Beam lumber car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:38:28 GMT

That looks great Steve.  Very impressive.

-Jason

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
By standing on the shoulders of giants I created a Center Beam lumber car.
Clearly Jake McKee and James Mathis came up with the oval opening that
inspired me to build this model. Some of the obstacles left to solve was,
creating and mounting the center wall and centering the trucks on a 7 wide
platform. The ropes are only decorations, not structurally needed.

Creating the center wall:
I used 2 - 1x8x2 arches to create each of the 5 oval opening. They are held
together by inserting a 4 stud axle into either 1x1 "foot" of the arch (see
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=13611 for details). In order to space them
properly I had to add plates and/or bricks and then a tile to the top of
each arch.

Mounting the center wall:
The arch assemblies are seated on their sides in a 32 stud long channel
created by 2 rows of 1x2 thin wall panels. They are held in place on the top
by a row of alternating 1x2-1x4 90-degree brackets (used for car headlights
and grills). This alternating row of brackets creates a nice 1 stud channel
and can be strengthened on 3 sides.

Centering the trucks on a 7 wide platform.
Trying to keep the deck of the train car as thin as possible made it tough
to find a solution to centering the bogie. After many attempts a 1x8 technic
plate with holes in the end stud positions worked the best.

See CBeam1, CBeam2,  CBeam3 at
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=773)

SteveB
PNLTC